Service and Security
SuS – EME Construction stages 4, 5 and 6
Expanding the “Service and Security” system
With construction stages 4, 5 and 6, VGF is further expanding its “Service and Security” system. The prerequisite for the expansion is completing the modernisation of those facilities set up in the first three construction stages (cameras, emergency call and information pillars), which are already in operation. This modernisation runs under the project name “Service and Security – Extensive Upgrading, Migration and Expansion” (SuS – EME) and, in addition to the renewal of many cameras previously installed, includes the complete new construction of the system. Without the SuS-EME project, the conversion of the service and security system from analogue to digital technology at the end of both projects would not be possible.
Since the 2006 World Cup, the system has been put into operation in construction stages 1 to 3 with 718 cameras and 161 emergency call and information columns (NIS) in 27 underground and 16 above-ground stations. All camera images, emergency or information calls received via the NIS converge at the SuS control centre, which has also been part of the new VGF control centre since March 2018. Traffic on nine underground and ten tram lines is monitored there.
In construction stages 4 to 6, all 45 above-ground underground stations that are not yet connected to the system, as well as 20 additional tram stops, will be equipped with the modern system:
- Construction stage 4 (by May 2022) with 15 underground stations and one tram stop.
- Construction stage 5 (by October 2023) with eleven underground stations and three tram stops
- Construction stage 6 (by April 2024) with 19 underground stations and 16 tram stops.
The construction stages are based on the technical connection options: In some cases, the connection to the VGF internal process network (PNW) is already in place (as with the stations belonging to construction stage 4), while in others – as in construction stages 5 and 6 – it must first be established.
The aim of the SuS extension with construction stages 4 to 6 is the area-wide monitoring of all passenger shelters – including parts of the platform – at all above-ground underground stations, as well as at selected tram stops with high passenger volumes, e.g. due to interchanges. This is intended to improve passengers’ subjective perception of security and to increase the actual level of security.
However, VGF plans go even further.
In addition to the SuS construction stages 4, 5 and 6, these include:
- the renewal of IFE cameras and the building/installation protection systems (implementation 2023),
- an occupancy display on the platform (AUSTER:DE model project),
- a mobile video surveillance system (implementation July 2021),
- passenger counting in underground light rail stations and
- the expansion of video technology at VGF depots.